The Office of Instruction develops quality curriculum that prepares students to master the skills necessary to work and live productively. The department develops curricular and instructional initiatives that support achievement for all students. The development of curricula, based on research and best practices, provides teachers, students, and parents with a quality instructional program that is firmly based on the Virginia Standards of Learning. The division provides service to schools to support the effective implementation of curriculum, to meet the instructional needs of teachers, and to ensure the successful learning of all students.
- Research and develop curricular and instructional programs that provide for active and engaging learning for all students in all content areas.
- Improve teaching and learning to enable all students to achieve high standards of performance.
- Align and coordinate the systemwide implementation of key initiatives to improve achievement and performance for all students including professional development related to assessment, reading, mathematics, and visible learning.
- Develop and implement systemwide staff development based on the needs of all employees focusing on providing students with innovative, engaging instruction.
- Provide services to administrators, teachers, and parents so students receive the support they need to succeed in school.