Homeless/McKinney-Vento/Project Hope-Virginia Information
Executive Director of Special Education & Student Services
Project Hope - Virginia
The Orange County School Board is committed to educating homeless children and youth. Homeless children and youth are not stigmatized or segregated on the basis of their status as homeless.
- The school division coordinates the identification and provision of services to such students with relevant local social services agencies and other agencies and programs providing services to such students, and with other school divisions as may be necessary to resolve inter-divisional issues, Policy JECA: Admission of Homeless Children.
- The McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act ensures educational rights and protections for youth and children experiencing homelessness.
- Project Hope-Virginia is Virginia’s Program for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth.
- What Families Need to Know
- EDUCATIONAL RIGHTS FOR CHILDREN AND YOUTH LACKING FIXED, REGULAR, AND ADEQUATE HOUSING
- AT SCHOOL, ASK ABOUT THESE SERVICES
- TIPS FOR FAMILIES WHO MOVE OFTEN
- WHAT YOU CAN DO BEFORE MOVING
- Agency Information List
What Families Need to Know
EDUCATIONAL RIGHTS FOR CHILDREN AND YOUTH LACKING FIXED, REGULAR, AND ADEQUATE HOUSING
AT SCHOOL, ASK ABOUT THESE SERVICES
TIPS FOR FAMILIES WHO MOVE OFTEN
WHAT YOU CAN DO BEFORE MOVING
Agency Information List
The purpose of this form is to identify and support McKinney-Vento/Project Hope eligible students. Please answer the questions to determine if you qualify for McKinney-Vento/Project Hope services. The questions will help identify services that could be provided to you and your family.
Homeless children, youth, and unaccompanied youth have the right to:
- Enroll in school without a permanent address
- Immediate enrollment even if unable to provide records required for enrollment
- Assistance obtaining enrollment and health records
- May be able to remain in the school of origin, the last school attended before becoming homeless, if you move
- Attend the school of residence, the school where temporarily living
- Automatically qualify for free meals at school
- Request transportation to and from school of origin