Homeless/McKinney-Vento/Project Hope-Virginia Information
The Orange County School Board is committed to educating homeless children and youth. Homeless children and youth are not stigmatized or segregated on the basis of their status as homeless. The school division coordinates the identification and provision of services to such students with relevant local social services agencies and other agencies and programs providing services to such students, and with other school divisions as may be necessary to resolve inter-divisional issues, Policy JECA: Admission of Homeless Children.
The McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act ensures educational rights and protections for youth and children experiencing homelessness.
Project Hope-Virginia is Virginia’s Program for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth.
Homeless children, youth, and unaccompanied youth have the right to:
- Enroll in school without a permanent address
- Immediate enrollment even if unable to provide records required for enrollment
- Assistance obtaining enrollment and health records
- May be able to remain in the school of origin, the last school attended before becoming homeless, if you move
- Attend the school of residence, the school where temporarily living
- Automatically qualify for free meals at school
- Request transportation to and from school of origin
The purpose of this form is to identify and support McKinney-Vento/Project Hope eligible students. Please answer the questions to determine if you qualify for McKinney-Vento/Project Hope services. The questions will help identify services that could be provided to you and your family.
Before completing the McKinney-Vento Application, please review the following documents:
- JECA: Admission of Homeless Children (Orange County Public Schools Policy regarding homeless children)
- Project Hope Virginia Brochure “What Families Need to Know.”
- Download Print Version of Application Form (English)
- Download Print Version of Application Form (Spanish)
You can reach out to your school registrar, counselor, or principal for additional information and support.
Assistant Superintendent for Student and Administrative Services
Project Hope – Virginia Homeless Liaison